Friday, September 6, 2013

I'm A Published Independent Author

Good morning everyone! I have a special announcement.  On Wednesday Spetember 4, 2013, I self published a short story collection called: The Stories We Tell When Drinking Coffee: A Collection of Short Stories and Flash Fiction.  It is available on Smashwords.

I am proud of myself for seeing a project through and not thinking about if people will like it, read it, if it is something people want to see, hear, or read.  Those thoughts crept in but I pushed them back.  I have been doing that way too long; listening to self doubt and nay sayers.  It was back in high school when I had a teacher who said that I didn't have what takes to be a writer.  I don't expect to receive overnight success, fame, fortune, NYT Bestseller's list.  I just want to get my stories out there and for people to enjoy.

How did I get into self publishing? I signed up for Smashwords two years ago, but never did much with my account.  I would read author bios, download some books here and there, and recently started reading author interviews.  I had some of my stories saved and I decided to go back and clean them up  and add to them.  Well, I made the decision to publish them.  I proofread my work Tuesday night, and tossed and turned all night.  I woke up at 4:00 am to upload my ebook.  I encountered problems with the upload of my Word file.  After a few tries, I went back to bed.  Several hours later, I tried again and the upload didn't go through.  I was frustrated after using two different internet browsers. Finally by the afternoon, the file went through.  I had to change my Word 2010 file to Word 97-2003 doc. file.  I previously had it in rtf, dot, and Open Office.  Why didn't I figure that out hours ago?

The next day, I had to fix outo vetter errors, my book cover size, and add an ISBN.  I spread the word about the ebook on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn.   I priced the book at $1.99 but I haven't sold a single book. This morning I decided to lower the price to $0.99.  I know that some would say I'm selling myself cheap, but we will see what happens.

This experience was nerve wrecking and still is.  It doesn't quite feel real.  I have been writing truck loads of web content for the last three years, and things have been a bit sour in that department since the summer. Looks like the writing is on the wall, I need to ease away from content farming and focus on my own projects.  I don't know where self publishing is going to take me, but I have to stay possitive.  It's scary to think what if no one never buys your books? Then what?  I'm sure that all authors go through these same scary feelings.

I realize that not everyone will think my stories are good. I will admit, I have read a lot of stories that I wasn't impressed with.  Some readers like romance, some like thrillers and suspense, and some perfer mysteries.  We all have different tastes and reading preferences because that is what makes us unique.

I also did an interview with Smashwords.  You can check it out here.

Have a good weekend everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment