Friday, March 29, 2013

Waterfall #1 River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergen

Hello and welcome to YA Books Etc.  I apologize for being away from the blog. I hope to post reviews and updates more often.  I also manage another blog, My So Called Writing Life which I update at least once a week.

I recently finished WATERFALL from the River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergen.  The book was recommended to me by fellow bookworm and friend Celeste. (She's a real life friend by the way). She blogs over at Crazy Beautiful Unique.  I ordered the book last year, and it arrived on the day my brother graduated high school which was back in June. I started reading the book, but I was distracted by other books, other events, and writing projects.  It took me nearly eight months to finish reading this book.  Eight months is a long time for me to read a book. I can finish a book in a week to a month depending on the length of the book, if the plot is interesting, and if I have the time to just sit down and read.


Plot Summary

Many dream of spending their summers in Italy or at least somewhere exotic, but for Gabi and Lia, spending their summer vacations in Italy is the norm.  The Betarini sisters are bored to death as they spend another summer with their archeologist mother.  One day, Gabi and Lia decide to venture off into one of the tombs, Gabi and Lia place their hands on handprints which transport them to 1342 Tuscany.  Now they must figure out how to find their way back home.

Review

Reading Waterfall was a change for me.  I am a big fan of YA fiction, but I am usually reading about your typical high school problems, friendship troubles, and falling in love wrapped in a pink or colorful book cover. What makes Waterfall different?  It has adventure, history, time travel, and of course a love story develops.  Gabi fights for survival as she tries to find her sister Lia and figure out how to get back to the 21st century.  Gabi falls for Marcello Fortelli throughout the course of the story, but there is one problem- Marcello is engaged to get married.  Gabi is pulled in two different directions as she faces her feelings for Marcello and finding her sister Lia so that they can get back home.  Will Gabi choose to stay or return to her family?

Part of the reason it took me so long to finish this novel was because I was bored throughout the first nine chapters.  The story didn't pick up speed until chapter ten when Gabi is finally out of the castle and on her way to Siena to look for Lia.  After that, the plot became a lot more interesting, and I was willing to see the novel through.  Interested in reading Waterfall?  You can order your copy from Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment