Friday, October 21, 2016

Book Review: Teach Me by R.A. Nelson

Goodreads says:

Teach Me invites readers inside an experience that fascinates everyone—an affair between a teacher and student—and gives an up-close-and-personal answer to the question: How does this happen?

Note: I deeply apologize for being missing from the blog and not posting reviews.  My absence doesn't mean that I'd stop reading.  Since I have other priorities reading and writing reviews took a back seat. 

I am going to be honest here. I wasn't a big fan of this book and I even questioned why I bought it.  I first heard about Teach Me ten years ago when I was taking a writing course.  I looked for the book, but couldn't find it at my local library branch or bookstores.  It is quite possible I wasn't looking hard enough.  Anyway, I found it in eBook format on Barnes N Noble's website two years ago.

It took me two years to read this story.  The main plot of the story is that Carolina "Nine" has an affair with her poetry teacher Mr. Mann.  Often times, we hear about these situations happening at our local schools and shake our heads and think, how does this happen?  What was that teacher thinking? What do they want with a teenager?  How can they be so stupid enough to jeopardize their job and career?

I think that the author was trying to answer these question through Nine and Mr. Mann's story.  It started off as a crush. They started spending time together outside school. And this was probably not a smart idea.  One of the things I have learned from my training as an instructor, you have to create boundaries and firmly stand by those boundaries.  I have encountered a situation where I was trying to be a good friend, but that was interpreted as potential girlfriend material.  If you are a teacher of any sort, you have to be teacher first.  I think Mr. Mann forgot that somewhere along the way.

It is pretty obvious that Nine never had a romantic relationship. So when Mr. Mann suddenly ends the relationship, Nine doesn't know what to do with herself or how to respond to the situation.  Sorry for the spoiler alert. 

The story was intense and mind boggling. I remember gasping and shaking my head at Nine's antics as I turned the page.  I remember back in high school, I had a crush on my biology teacher.  I pictured a life together, but in reality, I knew it wasn't going anywhere.  I just couldn't imagine myself doing the things that Nine was doing.  People find these types of relationships fascinating, but I lost interest quickly.  While I appreciated the suspense, Teach Me just didn't do for me.  I wish that I would have checked out this book from the library. 


3 out of 5 Stars
Personal copy purchased from Barnes N Noble



No comments:

Post a Comment