Sunday, October 26, 2014

WIP: Taking on the Writing World

Hi, I guess that it is not too early to announce that I have been working on a new book project.  I have been reading a lot of books about writing and reading about experiences from different writers. Reading those experiences inspired me to tell my story.

I wanted to write about my experiences with writing contests, classes, rejections from publications, and other adventures and misadventures and share some words of wisdom I picked up through the years.  I still consider myself  a newbie although I have writing online for almost five years.  I still have a long way to go, but I am not as green as I use to be.

I am not so quick to enter just any contest promising money and publication.  I am not in a big hurry to hit to publish button.  Case and point, I wish that I would've taken my time with the short stories on Smashwords.  There have been times when I have caught mistakes and had to upload a new version.  I hoped to make money off my stories, but it took me nine months to earn $11.03.  The lesson here is don't publish to make a quick buck.  These things don't happen overnight.

I am half way through the book and I have written almost seven thousand words.  That is a world record for me.  It is more than the word count of the failed unfinished novel that I attempted.  What's different this time around?

I have been writing out each chapter by hand in a notebook and when I am ready, I type it on the computer.  This strategy cuts down on getting distracted by the Internet.  I feel more productive when using this method.

I plan to publish through Amazon's KDP to reach a wide audience.  I can't wait to publish, but I don't want to rush it.  I am so glad that KDP has a book cover creator so I will have a professional looking cover.

The working title for my first full length non fiction book is Taking on the Writing World: The Ups and Downs of Getting Published.  I hope to have it on Amazon by January 2015 at the latest.

Stay tuned for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment