Friday, November 8, 2013

Book Review: Take Me There by Susane Colasanti

I read Take Me There By Susane Colasanti and decided to read it again.  I finished the book over a month ago and it took me a while to read it because life was going on.  Therefore, there were times when I couldn't get lost in a book.

I remember picking up Take Me There and When it Happens (by the same author) on a whim at my local  Books A Million without reading reviews online.  I typically don't read reviews before buying a book or checking a book out from the library because I like to be able to read it for myself, and form my own opinion when it is done.  I also think that reading reviews before hand can discourage a reader from taking a chance and reading a book.

The story is told in alternating points of view of Rhiannon, James, and Nicole.  Susane Colasanti takes readers back to the same scene.  The alternating points of views allow the characters to tell their sideof the story.

When the story opens, Rhiannon is miserable because Steve broke up with her.  She doesn't understand why because he gives her a very lame excuse. Rhiannon is still in love with Steve and is determined to win him back.

Meanwhile, James really likes Rhiannon, but he has a girlfriend. His girlfriend gets jealous and they end up breaking up.  James is a free man now and wants to take things to the next level with Rhiannon. However, he is sick and tired of her pining and moping over Steve.  James tries to reach out to Rhiannon by doing special things for her like bringing her sweets and flowers.  However, Rhiannon thinks that the flowers are from Steve and this fact alone makes James frustrated.

Nicole is Rhiannon's best friend, and use to date Danny.  But now, Steve and Nicole are broken up. Now Nicole has a crush on her math teacher.  Also, Nicole has a secret that might explain her actions.

Rhiannon comes up with a plan to get Steve back.  Meanwhile, Steve's new girlfriend, the resident mean girl better known as Gloria humiliates Rhiannon in front of the entire school.  The friends team up to take her down.

Thoughts

Since it has been two years since I have read this novel, I had forgotten a lot of details.  As a spectator, I can understand James' frustration.  I just wanted to knock some sense into her.  Why would you want to be with somebody who doesn't care about you?  Steve is not worth it, there are better guys out there, Rhiannon.

The sidewalk chalk message seemed brilliant but clearly a waste of time.  Another situation that caught my attention was Nicole's crush on her math teacher.  If this relationship would have developed, what would have happened if Nicole would have confessed her feelings? Nicole decides to go to his apartment, but couldn't bring herself to do it.  My question is, what was Nicole really expecting?  Did she seriously believe that her teacher would put everything at risk for an inappropriate unrealistic destined for doom relationship?

My favorite moment of the novel when James and Rhiannon have their iPod dance.  I thought that this gesture was very sweet and original.  Take Me There is one of those novels that I don't mind reading again and will keep a copy of.  Like Susane Colasanti's other novels, Take Me There feels like a romance comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment